The International Centre for Infectious Diseases together with the University of Toronto present the Principles and Practices of Biosafety Workshop, a comprehensive 5-day lecture series which introduces the essential elements of biosafety. Participants of this interactive course will have the opportunity to advance their biosafety knowledge in such areas as risk assessment, protective measures, facility and equipment requirements and governmental regulations. The course content has been developed and will be delivered by a diverse panel of experts in the field of Biosafety including University of Toronto Institutional Biosafety Committee members and provincial and federal regulators.
Participation in the Principles and Practices of Biosafety course is relevant for both participants who are new to the field as well as those who wish to augment their current knowledge of biosafety as practised in their professional duties.
Course Content will include
An Introduction to Biosafety, Protective Measures, Biosafety Data Management Systems, Lab design, Mechanical systems in laboratories, Auditing, Hazardous Waste Management, Biological Safety Cabinets, Fundamentals of University Teaching, Zoonotic diseases and Biosafety, Control of Microbial Growth (Chemical - Classes of Disinfectants and Physical - Steam Sterilization), Blood Borne Pathogens, Medical Surveillance, General Lab safety, Viral Vectors, Human and Animal Ethics, Freedom of information or protection of privacy, Occupational Health and Safety, Biosafety program in industry and in a smaller university, Import Permit Application Process, Laboratory Acquired Infections, Environment Canada for CEPA, Physical agents(Radiation, UV), and Emergency Response Provisions.
What you will take home
At the end of the course each participant will be able to:
• Develop essential components of a Biosafety Program
• Apply comprehensive knowledge of field components including how to identify, describe and categorize biological materials and the risks associated with their use and participate in the development of risk mitigation strategies
• Access a multitude of biosafety resources
• Participate in biosafety networking
Location: St. George Campus (Downtown) - 256 McCaul Street Rm 117, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Course Dates: May 29 – June 2, 2017
Deadline: Course Registration closes on Monday, May 15, 2017
Fee: $2,500 inclusive of 5% GST
Nearby Hotel Accommodations
- Metropolitan Hotel Toronto, 108 Chestnut St.
- Holiday Inn Toronto Downtown, 30 Carlton St.
- Courtyard Toronto Downtown, 475 Yonge St.
- Park Hyatt Toronto, 4 Avenue Road
- Intercontinental Toronto Yorkville, 220 Bloor Street West
- Holiday Inn Toronto Bloor Yorkville, 280 Bloor Street West
Participants are responsible for their own travel and accommodations. Lunches and breaks will be provided. All aspects of the workshop will be conducted in English.
To learn more about this course and to register please contact: